Cleveland, Mississippi Premises Liability Attorneys Seek Relief for Victims
Firm helps people injured in falls and other incidents on others’ property
At Povall & Jeffreys, P.A., we are Cleveland, Mississippi premises liability lawyers who work on behalf of clients throughout the state who have been hurt because a property owner did not take proper safety measures. Whether you required medical treatment after a dog bite, a fall on an unsafe surface or some other incident, we are dedicated to securing the compensation you deserve to cover healthcare costs and other damages.
What is the responsibility of the property owner?
Owning or managing real estate comes with a legal responsibility to maintain safe conditions for others who enter your property lawfully. This might require someone to repair their floor, patch potholes in their parking lot or put up a sign when an unsafe condition cannot be immediately remedied. Defendants in premises liability cases frequently claim that they acted prudently or that the victim was to blame for their injury, but we vigorously counter defenses raised by property owners.
Unsafe conditions that lead to premises liability claims
Many different forms of carelessness can trigger a slip and fall injury, including:
- Damaged walking surfaces
- Failure to clean up a spill or clear a hard-to-see obstruction
- Poor lighting
- Lack of adequate handrails
No matter what led to your accident, we go over the pertinent facts in detail to assess whether the individual or business with control over the premises should have been expected to address the hazard.
Why slip and fall accidents cause injury
Even a fall from a short distance might leave someone with broken bones, back problems or ligament damage. In more serious cases, someone could fall on their head, causing a traumatic brain injury that has longstanding negative effects. Our firm has the knowledge and network of medical experts to present a compelling case for damages when warranted.
Other hazards Mississippi property owners must address
In addition to slip and fall injuries, many other types of harmful incidents could result from a property owner’s negligence. We handle personal injury claims stemming from:
- Security failures — New legislation makes it more difficult to win a recovery against a property owner when a victim is hurt due to the actions of a third party. However, in the case of a harmful security failure, we can investigate the facts and determine if the defendant actively impelled the third party’s misconduct.
- Fires caused by carelessness — Many serious blazes can be prevented or minimized through proper safety measures. If you or a loved one suffered burns or smoke inhalation because an individual or business didn’t take the appropriate fire prevention steps, we will seek to hold them accountable.
- Falling objects — Tools and other objects that get dropped from high locations at construction sites and other places can cause a serious head injury.
- Dog bites —When a Mississippi dog owner is aware of their animal’s dangerous propensity but does not use a restraint or some other method of safeguarding their guests, they can be responsible for harm caused by a dog bite.
For any type of premises liability claim, you can rely on our personal injury lawyers for strong advice and advocacy.
How do you win a premises liability case?
Certain elements must be present to win a premises liability case. It must be demonstrated that the defendant owed a duty of care to the victim, which usually means that the victim was invited or allowed on the defendant’s property. The plaintiff must also show that the defendant failed to exercise reasonable care to protect their guest and that the failure was the proximate cause of the plaintiff’s injury.
Contact a skillful Mississippi premises liability attorney to discuss your case
Povall & Jeffreys, P.A. in Cleveland represents individuals who have been hurt on someone else’s property due to negligence. For a consultation, please call 662-843-9948 or contact us online.